Many people believe that maturity is directly linked to age, but not quite. It is perfectly possible for a 20-year-old to be more mature than an adult 30. Each person matures at a different time and in a different way. Are you interested in the subject? Here are some common situations:
The responsibility that comes with age: it’s not just wrinkles that come with age, maturity too! As you read above, despite not having a direct connection with age, this characteristic can come with years of life. It is your successes, mistakes, and learnings that build your personality and define who you are today. And it is precisely from this wisdom that the long-awaited maturity is born. It is only because of what you have experienced that it is possible to decide whether a particular situation or thought is interesting. Positive and negative memories are excellent references for you to reflect on your current behaviors.
The responsibility that comes earlier: there are people who, even before becoming an adult, have had to go through so much obstacle that they end up gaining an unusual maturity for their age. Although not entirely positive, it shows that the individual has learned and is willing to face the difficulties of life with his head held high.
The responsibility that comes because of a specific situation: there are some human beings who have been through very traumatic situations, forcing them to mature very quickly. Unlike the case above, here we are only talking about a profound moment that had the power to change important life perspectives for this individual. Again, it may not be the best way to gain responsibility, but you need to take advantage of these open doors to evolve.
10 characteristics of mature people
Now you will check a list with 10 personality items that show maturity.
- Education: basic behaviors such as saying good morning / good afternoon / good night, thanking, asking “please”, apologizing, waiting for the other to finish talking, and not shouting in an argument are essential for a good coexistence in society. And, incredible as it may be, education is not always used.
- Suitability: dressing and acting in accordance with the environment in which you are currently located may not be an easy task, but it is necessary and shows respect.
- Humility: being aware that you do not know everything is fundamental for any human being, as this allows him to expand his mind to learn new things. Have the humility to reveal when you don’t know something and also the humility to learn, if necessary.
- Leveling: as you have experienced it is easier to define what are the situations you do not want and do not need to go through. You create a pattern and start leveling the settings for it.
- Reflection: Before taking any action, you think about the pros and cons. After all, impulsivity has never taken anyone anywhere for very long.
- Understanding: with the weight of maturity it is possible to begin to understand that the success of your co-worker or family member does not diminish you in any way. So you have to celebrate with them!
- Honesty: over time you learn that lying or hiding facts is of no use. Telling the truth is mandatory for all relationships of any kind, both in the construction phase and in the support phase.
- Action: it is only after going through a traumatic moment or going through several difficulties, that it is possible to understand the importance of taking the speech off the paper. Don’t just say you’ll do it and do it. Don’t expect others to do something for you, just take the reins of your life and do it.
- Judgment: there comes a time in life when judging other people becomes something so minimal and petty that you don’t even think about it anymore. People are as they are and their opinion is not going to make them change. So, deal with the difference of the other and that’s it. Have you ever imagined that the other is also struggling to deal with you? Respect first.
- Acceptance: perhaps this is one of the most important points. Remember that it is not possible to change the world alone, but it is possible to transform yourself and the community around you with the help of a person. Accepting that you are not a superman or a wonder woman and that your qualities and flaws are part of you is essential.
10 characteristics of immature people
You have read about the items of maturity, so it is time to read about those of lack of maturity.
- Lack of education: there is no point in having a bright mind or being very funny, if the person forgets to say “please”, “thank you” and “license”, or if he wants to speak louder than others in debates.
- Self-affirmation: realize that immature people have a constant need to assert themselves all the time. This happens precisely because she is insecure with herself or because she has no humility.
- Impulsivity: instead of reflecting on their future behaviors, a person who lacks responsibility will simply act and say what they think.
- Perspective: he who has not yet matured usually sees the world only from his point of view. Humility is lacking to accept different opinions and to learn.
- Platonism: many of the people who still need to evolve, in terms of what the article talks about, tend to dream more than to achieve. For this reason, they live in a world of ideas that do not match reality but do not want to change that, as they are too proud to abandon their ideals.
- Balance: the student, professional, and personal balance does not happen in the life of an immature person. She just goes on living without having minimal planning! This can cause a lack of time, a drop in productivity, increased tiredness, and more.
- Apathy: some of the people who have no responsibility may also lack solidarity, forgetting who needs help, whether close or unknown.
- Emotions: having feelings on edge is not exclusive to those who are emotionally shaken momentarily. Emotional instability is a strong point for those who still have no discernment.
- Affectivity: It is common for people who have not yet matured to have a different notion of affectivity. They cannot respect others in any type of relationship and do not use honesty without realizing that they are losing a lot in terms of evolution.
- Contrariety: unlike the mature individual who is more able to accept people and situations, those who are not yet at that level want to change everything at all times without any planning. Even though it is a beautiful idea, it is a vision that lacks knowledge.
Of course, not all of the above characteristics correspond to an immature person. And it is essential to remember that, despite being negative points, all are subject to change.